Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Potty Training

So most parents start their potty training at 18 months. We were a little late to that party. And maybe if we had started it then, we'd be finished by now. But I fully believed that she wasn't ready yet because she wasn't even talking yet.

Brooklyn has an underdeveloped tongue muscle which makes it difficult for her to chew, swallow and talk. Her vocabulary is where it needs to be at her age but because of her tongue muscle, there are certain sounds that she has trouble making because she cannot lift her tongue up to the rough of her mouth to create those sounds.

Because of this, I thought, maybe she's not quite ready. Plus, most kids don't like when their diapers are full or poopy, Brooklyn didn't care. She would go all day and not tell me. ECI told me that was another sign she wasn't quite ready yet.

Well my aunt and my grandmother didn't care, they were bound and determined to teach her when they had her for a week when I was out of town. I told them that was fine, and brought the potty chair and panties. It didn't last long.

Now we are on pull ups and using the Sticker/30-min System. Every 30mins she has to sit on the potty and if she goes, she gets to put a sticker on the calendar. IF she has a sticker on every single day of the calendar, she gets a prize at the end of the week. So far this system has only worked for one week. This week she isn't as interested in the stickers.

Needless to say, I seriously hate potty training. We've been potty training since the beginning of March and still she isn't potty trained! Not even close really. I've got a few people who have done the "run around bottomless" thing, but she's already peed on my couch once! I'm braving it again today. That and I'm being mean. The TV can only come on while she's sitting on the potty chair. So if she wants to watch TV, she has to sit down and try to potty. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to find a new approach.

Next baby...we are starting early!